OBD-III

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 15:04:21 EDT

> Read stored OBD-II information from in-use vehicles.
> Direct owners of vehicles with fault codes to make immediate
> repairs

> how the systems can be made as "tamper-proof" as possible.

  This is a bitch. I was thinking "Faraday cage" upon reading this, but
I'm sure that's the first thing the developers would tackle.

> The cooperative techniques comprise devices that are installed on
> automobiles. These devices would receive a coded radio frequency signal
> that would
> produce a progressive speed reduction or shut down the automobile.

  Welcome to 1984.

> The major obstacle to overcome is to get public acceptance of a device
> that they have to pay for and that can disable their automobile.

> With the idea that the only time you would need to go to an inspection
> station is when the automobile exceeds smog-generating limits.

  While decreasing periodic inspections sounds very good on the surface,
this makes the real purpose obvious: Total State control of your automobile.

  Shit on the Constitution in exchange for increased convenience? I hate
to feel this way, but I bet most US citizens would love it.

  Ron