Re: OIL PRESSURE

From: rti1pmp@ismd.ups.com
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 16:13:13 EDT

I HAVE A '97 DAKOTA WITH THE 3.8L ENGINE, WITH 22,000 MILES. THE OIL PRESSURE S
MS TO BE DROPPING AS THE MILES INCREASE. AT 60 MPH, THE OIL PRESSURE GAUGE REGI
ERS A LITTLE PAST MID-POINT OF OPERATING RANGE (ABOUT 45-50#). BUT AT HOT IDLE I
DRIVE, GAUGE IS ON THE BOTTOM MARK OF OPERATING RANGE (WHICH I THINK IS 20#). I
INK THIS IS TOO LOW FOR HOT IDLE. IS THIS NORMAL PRESSURE, OR SHOULD I BE SEE
G MY DEALER??
THANKS!!

     My 97 3.9L has 21k on it.

     At 3k my oil pressure was reading funny. It took a long time after a
     cold start to see oil pressure, it went too high at speed and was too
     low at idle. Turned out to be the sending unit. My oil pressure
     rides to the right of center at speed and down to the left of center
     at idle ... seems normal.

     Matt