Re: AC

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 18:02:58 EDT

> I keep seein' people here talk about finding leaks by adding dye to the
> freon....talk about 70's technology...or lack thereof. Even small
> independent garages these days use electronic "freon sniffers".

  Yes, you're right. Most of them use a small flame and phosgene
detector, or a catalyst plate that changes color when the R-12 comes
in contact with the flame.

  But they don't necessarily work so well with R134a. And the simple
fact of the matter is that they're more expensive than a dye charge.
And the fact that the dye charge will help detect leaks indefinitely
as long as it's circulating through the system.

  Sometimes low tech is best,

  Ron