98 Transmission and Rear Transfer Leaks!

From: Bawango@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 22:38:59 EDT

Hello fellow DML members,

I am interested in finding out if anybody else has had major fluid
leaks from their Transmissions or Rear Transfer case. The Rear Transfer
case fluid is a redish color and the Transmission fluid is a brownish orange
color. I presently have my truck a the dealership for repair. (2nd time)
The first time they said transmission leak was caused by bad shifter seal.
but after driving it around 200 miles the trans fluid was still leaking
and the transfer was too. I stopped by the shop today and the mechanic had
the drivetrain completely apart from the rear axle to the clutch assembly.
I noticed there wasn't a seal between the front and rear housings of the
transmission. The mechanic said the use a gasket maker type of sealant, which
appears to squeeze out after bolting housings together, so you end up with
aluminum on aluminum with very little sealant around the edges. My Dakota
is a 98 5spd 5.2L v8 3.90 axel sport club cab. My Dakota is just 8 months old
with 13,000. I'm considering Lemon Law action. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, John
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)