RE: Shift kit update, pressure reg discussion

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Fri Jul 31 1998 - 16:35:32 EDT

frank,
you are right. The Jet chip must change the pulse width modulation of the
governer solenoid. This essentially applies the regulated pressure to the
delivery port for "distribution" to the rest of the transmission. Its like
a chopper regulator in an electronic circuit. it can either be W/O and
deliver full pressure, or modulate the pressure by rapidly opening and
closing, say 0-100% duty cycle. The addtl. 7 lbs is coming from this
solenoid by starting at a higher duty cycle, ie: 30% instead of 0. In
reality, the 7lbs "extra" was always there at the hydraulic pressure
regulator. Its now applied sooner and 100% is also applied "sooner"
(according to Glen provided I didnt slaughter his explaination). If you
increase the regulator pressure, then the Jet chip would give you 7lbs + the
additional Lbs from the adjustment. This, as described by Glen at transgo,
will "confuse" the transmission and could cause it to not upshift into
3rd/4th depending on load and a few other things (it apparently gets
complicated, just look at the hydraulic schematic). He did say that it does
not really damage the trans per se, but will cause you to hit the rev
limiter and not shift (not a good scenario) Jet is right, you are right,
and Transgo appears to be right, at least it doesnt seem to me like anyone
is in disagreement. And this only applies to 44/46 RE transmissions, not
the RH or 3500s, 727s 904s etc...
Bruce