RE: Pinging

From: Weingart, Robert F (Robert) (rweingart@lucent.com)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 15:37:26 EDT

Brett-

My co-worker has a 97 v6 that had the same problem (only about 9K miles on
it). The dealer told him the same exact thing, run higher octane. We both
thought that was a load of crap, but he tried it. That did alleviate the
problem, until he started to have a miss. The random miss turned into a
dead miss all the time. He brought it back in to the dealer and they
finally found the problem. Turns out, one of the plugs was dead! It just
stopped firing, period. They changed the plugs and everything is fine. In
fact he is now running 87 octane again with no pinging.
I can not believe that a plug with only 9K miles on it would fail, but I
have seen stranger. I have never liked Champion plugs (stock Chrysler) and
I always use Autolite. This hatred goes back to the carbureted days when
Champions would repeatedly foul. To date, I never had a problem with
Autolites.

Good Luck!
Rob Weingart ('89 LE 4x4, 198,000 miles)

<<
For the last month or two my 97 Dakota has been pinging under moderate =
acceleration. Starting up from a traffic light, or going up a hill is =
likely to cause the problem. (This is with the V6, BTW) It seems to =
happen much more frequently on hot days. I mentioned it to the dealer and =
he wouldn't even look at it. He said I should just use 89 octane fuel =
(despite the fact that the manual calls for 87) Is this normal or should =
I get on his back about it?