Re: 99 Dakota R/T

From: Mori4@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 17:21:42 EDT

 1. I've heard a rumor that the '99 R/T will offer a functional ram/fresh air
hood made out of a composite material, something like what is offered in the
aftermarket right now.
2. The trailer tow prep group is listed as an option in the '98 R/T sales
brochure.
3. My truck, a regular cab, with under 450 mi and stock with the exception of
a K&N replacement air filter went 15.181sec. The track was CecilCtyDragway
and according to their webpage the elevation is 320ft. Temperature was 75
degrees and 95% humidity. The truck which now has about 5000mi. on the clock
is now slightly modified for the strip. It has shorter and stickier drag
tires and an easy fresh air system utilizing the stock airbox and also a
180degree thermostat. The best ever pass came just last Sunday, same track,
14.565sec. The temp. on the timeslip reads 93degrees , but I think that
temperature was inaccurate because the local forecast for the area only wanted
mid eighties for the high and it felt cool. The humidity was 35% . HotRod
said there times were elevation adjusted. I think it's possible the R/T tested
by HotRod is the same truck that MotorTrend tested for MotorTrendTelevision.
Both are red reg. cabs with no power windows, doorlocks and mirrors and also
no sliding rear glass.
4. I'd think the retarded timing syndrome could be fixed with an aftermaket
performance ECM from JET, SuperChips or maybe even HyperTech until Mopar makes
one of their own. ShaneB

I'm from Dallas, Tx and am considering purchasing a 1999 Dakota R/T in Sept,
98. I would
appreciate a little info from you Dakota fans if possible. First some
background. I'm
currently in a 94 S-10 (no flames please) with the 195hp 4.3L V-6. I drive it
to/from
work and love the ocassional stoplight grand-prix I can win...but they are
few. But more
importantly I use my truck to pull my road-race car/trailer to upto 2 events
per month
usually 75 miles away, but upto 450 miles twice a year. Ever since reading
the article
on the Dakota R/T in 8/98 Hot-Rod mag (page 58), I have been thinking nothing
but that
truck! My questions:
1. The dealers can't tell me squat about what the differences (if any) the 99
will have
compared the the 98 R/T. Is there a number I can call to talk to someone at
Dodge or
whoever that KNOWS whats coming? Email address would be fine also.
2. Can I get the "AHC" trailer tow group with the R/T? I want the performance
of the 5.9L
but don't want to burn it or the trans up pulling the trailer. I do not like
full size
trucks...the Dakota is a large as I can stand. Is there anyone pulling a
trailer as heavy
or heavier than mine with an R/T?
3. I used to be into drag-racing before I got into turning corners...are there
any 98 R/T
owners out there that have a 1/4 time (ET and MPH)? Please tell me altitude
and outside
temperature of when you got the time. Is the 14.85 that Hot-Rod got
realistic?
4. Hot-Rod described a supposely "retarded timing" condition on full throttle
on their R/T
that they think was why it was not performing as expected from part-throttle.
Do any of
you other R/T or even 5.2L owners experience this and what is the fix? My
local Mopar
performance dealer says he doesn't expect a new ECU from Mopar anytime the
forseeable
furture. Is there anyting else to be done. Remember this is a problem at low
end also
when the pedal is floored...so I don't think it is a airflow problem like I
read about
on this and other sites.