Re: SR-71 Bullet Questions

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Tue Aug 04 1998 - 21:11:57 EDT

Erik Nielsen wrote:

> Eric K wrote publicly and some others wrote privately with spec and
> performance questions about the SR-71 Bullet Hot Rod Dakota.
>
> We've not done any formal performance testing yet of the truck, with it
> coming and going to shows, and having been to Chrysler for an official
> looksee, and so I apologize for the lack of hard data. I was not directly
> involved with the build so I don't personally know all of the work that was
> done on the engine but that list is being assembled. The idea here is that
> people (especially guys like you all on this list) can buy the base model
> with a Magnum 360 and then go to town and tweak the engine how _you_ like
> it. What was done here was more what tickled our fancy. The emphasis of
> the truck is on its styling and suspension. My informal data on the
> suspension performance is that the Viper-based fully-independent suspension
> is definitely a kick to feel in action. Tearing around Road America at well
> over 110mph (it was during touring - and you're supposed to stay under 70),
> the back end of that truck never let loose of the pavement - not through any
> of the turns - the carousel - none of it. And the ride was smooth and
> lithe.
>
> The styling is the other important part - this truck commands the eye like
> nothing else. It was amazing to people watch at Road America during the
> vintage races when the SR-71 was on display. Always a second look. And
> this amidst all sorts of amazing vehicles ranging from Cobras to MacLaren
> F1's, Ferrari F40's, Diablos, Porsches, Panteras, etc. It was as if all
> those other cars didn't even exist.
>
> We don't think of it as a modified Dakota. Not really so much even a tuned
> Dakota. It's a completely new animal. Those wide Michelins squawk with out
> any trouble at all, and it's very easy to leave rubber wherever you want.
> What I know about the engine is custom headers, different injectors, air
> intake box (through shaker hoods). There's alot more that was done to the
> engine. Like I said, I'll be letting you guys know about it.
>
> Anyway, we expect to get some serious track time at the end of this month so
> we can assemble performance data. We'll keep you guys posted
> and I would sure appreciate your feedback, especially more analytical,
> critical assessments. It's hard to get a person to verbalize their true
> feelings when they're standing there, mouth open, tongue hanging out, hand
> reaching for the wallet.

Erik,

I'll be the first to pop with the question many probably have....

Are individual components or assemblies being made available or are you
talking complete package only? At $50K, even with over 400 members on
this list, you're talking an extremely small subset of people who could
even afford that thing.

Bob