Re: dont trust an engineer..was:Pinging and Quirks

From: Bruce Bridges (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 10:37:56 EDT

DML,
 Chrysler has done a lot of "funny" things in the past, not all good, but
all required for various engineering compromise. I would never blindly
assume that any stock setup is optomized for my requirements (I do try to
buy vehicles that are close to what I need though) The R/T has a "stock"
ram 360 in it. It does not seem to be a tweaked 360. Its not really a
"special package" motor in my mind (Id love to be wrong, but then it should
have more "balls" than it does stock) Rams are bigger, heavier, and not used
a sport vehicles too much. I can improve it for my purposes (no 5th wheel
plans in my future). If I were pinging on regular gas (it doesnt) then I
would not hesitate to perform a $ 10.00 experiment with a 180 deg
thermostat. It ought to pay itself back (if it cures the problem) in 1.5
tanks of regular gas! If pinging is still a problem, then there are other
things to modify. the "art" of engineering is in part the art of
compromise. We cant please every one under every condition, nor can the
company (CC in this case) provide unlimited options for those with "special
needs" (big trailers, heavy foot, hot Texas days etc.....) BUT dont let
your motor ping. Ma Mopar wouldnt want that. no no no...
BKBridges