Pinging and Quirks

From: Rob Agnew (ragnew@islandnet.com)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 00:30:22 EDT

I really appreciate your attempt to help, but as you recall from many
octane and the only time my Dak pinged is towing my trailer in hot weather
up hill. I added a bit of 'high test' and that cured the problem. I'm sure
if a 180 thermostat was the cure, Chrysler would put them in the truck from
the factory. My 89 Sundance pings unless it gets 92 octane and it was
just tuned (plugs, rotor, cap, wires, scoped etc.). I suspect as well as
load and temperature, the changing formulation of gasoline from summer to
winter also affects it. My 78 1/2 ton, my 78 3/4 ton and my 77 Plymouth
Volare all pinged on regular gas. They all ran fine on higher octane fuel.

There were all SUPPOSED to run on regular gas.

------------------------------

>From: Boog318@aol.com
>Subject: Re: DML: Pinging from Chevron's Canada web page

<in older cars and high performance vehicles....

----------------------------
------------------------------

>Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 22:39:08 EDT
>From: Boog318@aol.com
>Subject: Re: DML: Some Quirks

>Rob,
>These E-brake cables should be lubricated with lithium grease. If the truck
>is fairly new, then maybe it was not done properly at the factory. Any good
>repair manual should tell you how to do it.
>Boog

------------------------------

Thanks for your suggestion, but as I indicated in my post, my dealer
serviced the E brake
and beveled the brake shoes under warranty. He also checked that the brake
was operating as it should in his shop. The cables are free. I'm sure the
mechanic has read the repair manual :)

Sometimes someone on this list (remember the intermediate shaft and mirror
wind whistle) has had the same problem and knows the exact cure. This is
helpful, particularly if my dealer hasn't had the problem before.

Rob Agnew
ragnew@islandnet.com

Victoria, B.C.
Canada