Re: RE: Re: What's Hot Rod's deal?

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 14:49:33 EDT

At 02:08 PM 8/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>> I got my Sept issue of Hot Rod the other day. In the Magnum story they
>> had, all they seemed to do was rag on the Magnum motor and it's
>> shortcomings (to them).
>
> OK, so what were the shortcomings?
>
> I like Petersen Publishing, but they have too many damned models getting
>in the way of the rods. ;)
>
> Ron

They said the heads only work well at low lifts and didn't respond well to
porting. I thought Magnum heads were some of the best out there, ported or
not. They also said that the rocker arm design was "a giant step
backwards" and that Chrysler changed from the shaft design to the pivot
design because of "AMC influence" (and to save $$) from when Chrysler
bought AMC. I saw that as pretty much saying the AMC engineers were dumb.
I thought the rocker arm comments were weird because it's the same design
that's used on the Viper, right?

I didn't see anything about the Magnum's advantages. Besides, if the
Magnum sucks so bad, how come they're easy to hop up and how come they can
keep pace with the Mustangs and Camaros?

Brian