Re[2]: MP valve covers

From: Michael Clark (mike@snakebite.com)
Date: Sun Aug 09 1998 - 16:33:31 EDT

> Hey Mike, how about letting everyone know all the parts needed in putting on
> the new valve covers. I want to put them on my 97 and would like to have
> everything before I start (i.e., grommets, wire loom studs, etc.) I would
> 'preciate it.

> Alex
> 97 CC Sport V8 5spd

That's what I'm planning on doing with the write up and photos. I
think the parts needed should be the same for 1st gen and 2nd gen
dakotas, but I don't know that for sure. Anyone out there who has put
these valve covers on a 2nd generation dakota want to help me out on
that area of the write up? I think the 2nd gens have a heater hose
holder on one of the studs right, or is that just Durangos?

Just as a quick overview I think all the required parts are:

P5249642 - Grommet Set (for the pcv filter)
           and maybe a longer pcv hose.
P2946052 - Chrome Oil Fill Cap (set comes with one only)
Red Loctite - Use on the screws to install the oil baffles.
Permatex Blue RTV gasket stuff (The directions doesn't say anything
         about any sealer though)

Also did anyone else have to modify the oil baffles to get them to
fit? I had to dremmel off a tiny portion on each of the sharp corners
so the screw holes would line up. I documented this as well.

If anyone would like to read the instruction sheet supplied by Mopar I
OCR'd a copy in Rich Text Format so almost any word processor can read
it. It's at: http://web.wt.net/~mclark/images/covers.rtf

There's also a few images I took of the install process. I'll have more
that I will include in the write up later on once I get everything
finished. The images are at: http://web.wt.net/~mclark/images/

---Mike, near Houston.---
 My sig file=====> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/signature.txt
 My Dakota page==> http://web.wt.net/~mclark/dakota.html