Re: Dyno Results on the R/T with Jet Chip

From: Mike Catlin (Catlin@erols.com)
Date: Mon Aug 10 1998 - 08:00:56 EDT

>Frank wrote:
>I just read your post on the Jet chip & I am really confused on the
>numbers. A couple of questions and suggestions for you because even
>with the Stage I chip you should see better results.

>1) Are you running a Stage I or a Stage II chip, with the TB Mods
> you should be running a stage II.

I was running the stage II chip.

>2) Were you running premium grade fuel, both chips are sensative
> to fuel (advanced timing).

I have run premium in it since the day I got it.

>3) What were the torque and horsepower figures from 2,000 RPM and
> up (hopefully they gave you the plots so you can compare them).

They have to start from 3,000 RPM since the trans kicks down out of
3rd gear on the dyno when you do full throttle any lower than
3,000 RPM.

>4) Were the torque and horsepower numbers (raw numbers), or were
> they adjusted to standard temp, barometric pressure and humidity.
> I know this might be a stretch, given the pulls were so close
> together but it still might explain the low numbers on the Jet.

Raw numbers no adjustments. As far as low numbers for Jet the 2 pulls
were done in identical conditions about 5 minutes apart so the jet
chip still had lower HP numbers even though I did the first pulls with
the Jet chip on a cooler engine. The guys at the dyno said my first
pull numbers should of been higher since the engine was cooler.

>5) Did the torque and horsepower peeks change in RPM between the
> pulls with and without the chip. If they didn't change the
> chip might be faulty.

No real change.

>6) Did they give you ignition plots from the pulls, (you should see
> a more aggressive ignition curve with the Jet chip). If you don't
> see a difference in the ignition curve, send the chip back
> to Jet for replacement.

No, and Yes I am sending it back. I will be calling Jet this morning
to find out what the deal with this chip is. I may be willing to try
a replacement chip if they say this one is faulty. I will be asking to
see their dyno printout on the chip since they told me in an E-Mail
that I should expect to see a 20-22 HP increase not a HP loss.

>I have seen an increase in both torque and horsepower from approx.
>2,000 and up generally in the range of 10-20 horsepower and 15 ft/lbs
>torque.

Was this on a dyno or G-tec? If so maybe I do have a bad chip. I can
tell you one thing I have for sure right now is a bad attitude. This
is beginning to feel like my $700 ignition fiasco. I'll post to the
list what Jet chip has to say after I contact them this morning.

Mike (My blood pressure is rising) Catlin