Re: Erratic Shifting

From: Marc Lehnerer (dakota65@mpdr0.chicago.il.ameritech.net)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 00:21:48 EDT

> Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 12:49:19 -0500
> From: Mighty Quinn <quinn@ionet.net>
> Subject: DML:Erratic Shifting
>
> Ive had a slight problem (maybe 1 in 20 times) with my automatic trans.
> Every once in a while, usually when over 3000 rpms, i get erratic shifting.
> Especially between 2nd and 3rd gears. It just seems to go from 2nd to 3rd
> back to 2nd then to 3rd again. This is all under steady acceleration keepin
> my foot in one place (even floored.) Its on a 97 dak with the 318. I took
> it into the dealer since its still under warranty and they said that they
> couldnt find anything wrong with it i.e. no error codes, fluid levels all
> fine, and they ran a test drive with it and couldnt duplicate it. (i didnt
> argue being a customer rep myself) I just wondered if anyone else had
> experienced anything like this and any suggestions of what it might be.

I've had the same experience, especially when the accelerator is
floored. The first time it happened I was accelerating onto the expy.
and it scared the hell out of me. It seems to me that the trans wants to
shift late--often just as the RPMs are at redline. I don't know if this
is a design problem or what, but I haven't had it looked at just because
the truck otherwise shifts normally. (It does keep me from flooring the
pedal though!) Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks
Marc.