Re: A-arms VS. Spindles...HELP!

From: Bob Mankin (bob@cadpros.com)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 19:28:11 EDT

Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, they are two totally different critters. The spindle
> is what your front wheel rolls around, and the A-arm is what the spindle
> assembly attaches to. I haven't looked closely enough at my truck to say for
> certain, but that's what I'm used to seeing on most front suspensions. I
> didn't know there was a versus in the equation. If there is, could someone
> clear it up for me as well?
>
> Shaun
> Tustin, CA

Shaun,

Various manufacturers have made either spindles or A arms to acheive the
first 2" of drop for front lowering jobs. Spindles were about all you
saw for the first years of lowering, but some suspensions have a
geometry issue where a lowered spindle doesn't work and the A arms were
then introduced. '97+ DAKs are a prime example.

It was explained to me in detail over the phone one day, but I never
crawled under my truck to understand exactly why spindles would not have
worked.

Strangely enough one of the biggest players in this market, Bell Tech,
only offers springs for lowering the later DAK's. For a company that
boasts of their engineering prowess, I'm disappointed. I went with the
Western A arms myself. Though I haven't installed them yet(tire/wheel
combo purchase holds it up) I'm very happy with the quality of the
Western pieces and won't have any worries about reliability once they're
under the truck.

For whatever year truck you might be talking, I think a choice between
spindles and A arms is moot. Both should be equal in terms of
reliability and ride quality and generally, price is about the same.

Bob