A few thoughts

From: JHambleton@diabloresearch.com
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 12:36:41 EDT

vs springs. I've been told by at least two sources that you CAN NOT use
2" spindles with 15" wheels. You need to use 16" or 17" with Spindles. A
arms have a lowered pocket the stock spring sits in. The pocket is the
lowest point on your suspension so ground clearance is a factor.
Lowering springs do not change anything else. Same ground clearance, no
wheel interference. If you use any of these get and alignment within the
next 48 hours. All of these options claim they do not affect "stock
suspension geometry". Over 2" drop and you get into geometry problems.
My personal recommendation would be springs; no suspension interference,
no ground clearance problems.

        I owned a 90 V6, and I own a 96 V8. In both I thought I heard
valve noise. I used a stethoscope on the valve covers and no valve
noise. No excessive injector noise. I decided it was coming from the
exhaust system near the headers. Sounds just like valves though, and
your noise could be different.

        I installed a K&N on my 90 V6, and an open element (not K&N yet)
air cleaner on my 96 V8. I believe I can "feel" the difference in
performance. I am also getting somewhat better MPG. Nothing HUGE, just
noticeable.

        Someone asked about an engine problem for their friends truck.
Check the codes. No codes?? Back to basics. Plugs, rotor, cap, wires,
vacuum leak, EGR valve, PCV valve. If the easy ones don't do it, then
mechanical timing. Last you get to look at timing chain/belt.

        I put a CAT back system on my 90 V6 with appreciable performance
gains. Our engines need some back pressure to operate properly. HP and
MPG both in proved after installation of a cat back designed for my
engine. Putting a 6" sewer pipe out the back would probably produce poor
results.

        Ok I think I' caught up on Fri, Sat, Sun Digests.

Jon H