Re: R/T Drag Tests in Power Wagon Magazine

From: bgbeaird@neosoft.com
Date: Sat Aug 15 1998 - 17:02:39 EDT

>Now there talking about the 5.2 in the Cherokee but the Dakota's 5.2
>already made 230hp & 300 lb-ft of torque. It seems as though the
>new 4.7 liter engine is a little light on the torque wouldn't
>you say. A 70 lb-ft. loss if you believe this article. It also
>didn't give rpm measurements for the 4.7 makes you wonder if they
>didn't raise that rpm to get that 235hp.

Smaller (especially those with a shorter stroke) engines usually generate
their peak HP at higher RPMs. Why do you think those Rice Boy cars sound
like pi$$ed-off bumblebees at the starting line? I suspect the 4.7 is a
shorter stroke engine, and the engineers are relying on other things than
stroke to get the HP up, that's what I assume from the MUCH lower torque
figures.

Gene Beaird
98 Flame Red CC R/T