Accidents & Insurance

From: W. Jack Hilton III (hemi@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Aug 21 1998 - 07:33:56 EDT

><< I just turned 19 and have two tickets under my belt. >>
>
>My condolences to you, that will cost you dearly for a long time to come..

Hell , I got in an accident when I was test driving a brand new '93 Dakota
in August of '93 .

I was behind a Mercedes 190E (the crappiest of the Mercedes line) and the
lady started to go right at a yield sign and I started to follow .

She decided to stop so I simply pushed the clutch in(it wasn't even out all
the way yet) and I rolled up and bumped her at about 2MPH .

When the truck rolled back from her , the trunk was caved in up to the back
window !

Now this was a White Dakota Sport with a white painted plastic grill and
the "Aero" headlights .

There wasn't so much as a scratch on the truck ANYWHERE !

She was walking around , using the pay phone , looked and said she was fine
. When the police got there , she was in the car and they asked for her
D.L. and insurance and when she started to turn around to get her purse ,
she says "OH! , I can't , my back hurts!" She then said she couldn't move
and had them call her an ambulance .

Needless to say I got sued and she did win for about $11K and my insurance
didn't even want to hear my side of the story nor allow me to defend myself .

Total cost of damages to the Mercedes was over $3k .

Total cost of damages to the Dak were $0 .

My insurance ws VERY high for a couple of years after that and are just now
starting to come down .

As a general rule , they "say" that it is supposed to go down most when you
turn 25 and when you get married .