Aftermath of the new lifters and cam...

From: Michael & Jeannine Reynolds (jeanninemike@fuse.net)
Date: Fri Aug 21 1998 - 22:00:00 EDT

Hello DML:

Well, I picked up my truck after the dealer finished putting in the new cam
and lifters (yes they did replace all of the lifters). What a difference!
It runs and sounds like a new truck (which it should with only 6k)!! The
engine is so quiet I can hardly hear it now with the windows down at idle.
Acceleration is much improved. Also, it appears that the pinging seems to
have subsided. All that friction caused by the bad lifter was really
hurting driveability! After I went to work, I noticed that the mechanic has
scratched the top of the fender!!! You really can't tell it until the sun
hits it just right, but they shouldn't have done it in the first place. So,
I used some Meguiar's clear coat cleaner and daubed some touch up paint in
the gouge. Then I blotted the paint with a clean piece of kleenex. After
it dried for a few minutes, I used the Meguiars again and rubbed the finish
smooth. It looks alot better, but I can still tell it's there because I
know where it is. Other than that, the dealer seems to have done a good
job. So, hopefully this is the end of my Dakota trials and tribulations,
but who knows? I still really like the truck alot. I'm waiting for my JBA
headers, they're supposed to be here sometime next week. Thanks for the
advice from those who have installed them already. One question, how do you
get the passenger side header past the A/C condenser near the firewall?
Just curious...

Michael Reynolds
'98 Dakota CC 4X4 5.2L
Flame Red and whisper quiet!