RE: JBA heat... WAS: JBA he

From: Bridges, Bruce (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Mon Aug 24 1998 - 17:13:53 EDT

Shaun,
The woven material should stand up to the heat no problem, its the headers
Id be worried about. For longevity on the street I would not use a header
wrap (any kind). The wrap will promote corrosion by creating a very high
temp environment at the header since the header cant scrub heat. any
condensation etc. will promote rust like mad! Yes, even in stainless steel.
Most header warranties are voided if a header wrap is used. For strip only
use it should eek out a tenth or so by cooling the engine compartment. My
Jury is still out on whether keeping the exhaust heat IN the header actually
produces more power (high temp = less dense gas = larger volumes of gas=
higher pressures = less horsepower?? conversly high temp =high velocity...).
If you can get some "scrap" braided tubeing Id be real interested in trying
it out on my Jensen... (it eats plug wires due to tiny engine compartment
and big engine combo. I use the silica braid from magnecore, but it tends
to crisp out after a while.) My opinion, which is mine, ahhhemmm...
BKB