Dodge Dakota Suspension Upgrades

From: gapinkley@earthlink.net
Date: Tue Aug 25 1998 - 02:27:34 EDT

Dakota Enthusiasts,

I just found the ring and I'm glad to see everyone here. I own a red (yes, resale red)
'97 Dakota Sport V-6, 5spd. I've installed a hidden hitch and roll pan. I removed all
the stickers, and painted all of the Dakota's black trim red (i.e. door handles, mirrors,
front bumper). I've fabricated a ram-air system that works well, although I need to do a
lot of finish work to make it 'pretty'. Also in the works, is a roots type supercharger
install for my 3.9 V-6. Someday, when I have some spare time...(spare time:what's
that)....I will create a site to show off my auto hobbies.

When I took my truck for a test drive I thought it handled well for a truck, but I was
mistaken. (I had been driving Firebirds for a while, but they don't haul plywood too
well). I recently took a job with Hotchkis Performance out in Santa Fe Springs, CA.
Hotchkis is known for making great handling suspensions systems for older cars, but I'm
glad to tell everyone, my first project for Hotchkis is....you'll never guess.....a
suspension package for all you '97-present Dakota owners who want to put a little more
SPORT into you're truck. Currently, I am in the process of getting the first articles
made right now, but preliminary testing shows significant performance gains. (3-5 MPH in
a 600 ft slalom, on stock, almost bald, 215/75/15 Invicta's) I absolutely LOVE driving
my truck now. I recently re-installed the factory suspension for a direct comparison to
the new parts, and I couldn't believe I drove it that way for a year! You might ask,
" what about hauling?" This coming weekend, I'm helping a buddy move a refrigerator, so
I'll put it to the test. I also tow a small sports car with my truck, so I plan on keeping some load carrying ability with the rear springs. These are going to be 'Sport springs, so they won't be designed for heavy duty usage. The spring package we are going
to sell will lower the vehicle ~2 in front, 3 in rear (this will vary with engine type
and body config). We are also developing an aggressive stabilizer bar package to go
along with this spring. We are planning to release the packages around November. Check
out our website www.hotchkis.net for availability and pricing. (I apologize, our site is
still under construction at this time.) Or, if you desire, give me a call at work 562-
907-7757 and ask for Gary.

Well, gotta run. Hope to hear from some of you soon.

Gary Pinkley,
gapinkley@earthlink.net
Product Engineer - Hotchkis Performance
owner of the 'Viper' Dakota

         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)