Re: any gains in electrical

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 11:26:57 EDT

   I seem to recall this debate from years ago. Everyone was trying to reduce
the resistance in their ignition systems so they could "widen" the gap on the
sparkplugs, in theory, making a larger spark. I was under the impression that
when engines went to fuel injection, that with the improved efficiency of the
fuel injection mix, this whole "lower resistance" "increase gap" argument
became irrelevant because now that the fuel was being mixed efficiently, a
small spark produced the same results as a big one.
   The above comments come from practical experience and an explaination. I
used to own a Triumph Spitfire 1500 (a carbureted car). I put an Allison
optical ignition on it (instead of the condenser/points) with high preformance
wires and near max gapped platinum plugs. She screamed down the road after
that. When I got my VNT Shadow (SMPFI), I thought I'd also put high
preformance wires and plugs in her. She ran awful, even at factory gap. I
tossed Champions back in her and her old wires and she ran great again.
   The dealer mechanics told me why that happened and also tossed in that
gapping is an "inexact" resistance as it changes with heat/environment. They
added that modern engines are made for certain spark levels and when you
change that natural resistance you modify the spark, and to change the motor
correctly you have to change advance timings and fuel feeds to take advantage
of the lesser resistances. I dunno if I was being fed a load of crap, but it
sure sounded like it explained my own experiences with the Shadow.
   Just an $.02 here.

Shaun
Tustin, CA