RE: any gains in electrical mods ?

From: Holloway,Frank T (Frank.T.Holloway@KP.ORG)
Date: Wed Aug 26 1998 - 12:35:50 EDT

Although I can't speak for the Jacob's electrical systems (never used one
and probably won't because I don't like their advertising), or the MSD
(never used one
on a Dodge), I can speak on the Crane ignition products. I use the HI-6TR on
my supercharged 95, and the HI-6 on my 98. Both units are multiple spark
high
output units (fires the plugs for 20 crank degrees below 3,000 RPM). I use
the Crane PS-92 coil on both. I needed to run the HI-6TR on the 95 for the
ignition
boost retard feature. Both trucks have MSD 8.5MM wires and Autolite APP5224
plugs and have been dyno'ed both before and after installation. What we
found with
the ignition is about a 3 HP increase throughout the powerband (not much).
Under marginal ignition conditions (high RPM, high boost), these units
really shine by
reducing misfires. Two things worth mentioning that we noticed after install
(especially on the 98), the units tended to retard timing about 1/2 to 1
degree below
2,000 RPM. Above 2,000 the timing was right on (self correcting). Looking at
the exhaust before the Cat. hydrocarbons were reduced so you are getting
better
combustion. If you have problems with ignition under high RPM, or boost
conditions, I think the MSD or the Crane units are worth looking at.
Different subject,
if you are looking for a distributor cap and rotor, try Borg Warner (BWD),
they do have brass terminals.
        Frank