Re: K&N FIPK on the dyno (Bob)

From: Mike Catlin (Catlin@erols.com)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 18:44:52 EDT

> Bob wrote:
> For anyone that's interested, I managed to get a couple of pulls done on
> a DynoJet last Friday just before my JBA install.
"snip"

> After some fussing around, we managed to get what I feel were some
> stable baseline pulls(2). I went to the trouble of re-installing the
> stock air intake just for this run. I still had the 180 T-stat
> installed(wasn't willing to back up that far<g>) but it gave me some
> idea of what rear wheel stock HP is. For the last run, I installed the
> 14" K&N. I was a bit disappointed to see the rear wheel HP be so low. I
> believe our max HP run with the K&N was only about 185 HP. I think Mike
> Catlin's R/T came in at about 215+. I guess that's roughly the
> advertised difference(30 HP) between a 318 and the 360.
"Snip"

 Bob,
        Those are actually pretty good numbers. Here are the results
 of some other dyno & G-tch readings from various sources:

Some 5.2 readings

"Truckin Magazine"
dynode a stock Dakota 5.2 on a Dynojet
Dyno in Oct 97 issue pg 167. Rear wheel reading 160 HP

We G-Teched our 5.2 and got a rear wheel reading of 162 HP

Some R/T readings

Hot Rod magazine dynode the R/T on a Dynojet
in May 98 they got a rear wheel reading of 191.7 HP

I G-Teched my stock R/T before any mods and got 195 HP

I got the 220 HP reading on my R/T on the dynojet after my throttle
body mods and a open air filter with a K&N filter. Also had 14,000
miles on it so the engine was nice and loose. I'm going to try to
get back to the dyno to see what gains the JBAs gave. Let us know
before and after results with your Jet chip since I didn't get any
gain with mine. Anyway as you can see your 185 reading is pretty
good when you consider the average stock R/T is in the 190s and the
stock 5.2 is in the 160s according to the tests above.

Mike Catlin