Re: Am I getting ripped off?

From: Rader (rlr@rtp-bosch.com)
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 16:37:15 EDT

> injectors were dirty and needed to be cleaned and that my PCM needed to be
> reset. His charge is $165. He went as far as saying the injectors were so
> dirty that they had never been cleaned.

  Sounds to me like the first dealer shortchanged you.

> My question is, could the dirt be because I have an open element K&N? I
> remember a long thread about the dirt allowed by the filter? The filter is
> only 4 months old, (14k miles).

  I doubt the K&N is responsible for injector deposits.

> As for gas, I usually buy the cheapest I
> can find 87 Octane. Could it be gas quality? Should I be doing an additive
> every month or so?

  My practice is similar, so I have been thinking about yanking the injectors
on my '95 to take a look. I would recommend using good quality fuel, but
beware that name brand stations are no guarantee you're getting good fuel.
I don't think there is any harm in running some injector cleaner through your
system once in a while, and I may start doing this as a matter of fact.

  I've also been considering buying the injector cleaning kit that allows you
to connect the fuel rail to a can of magic goop, then run the engine until the
can is empty. I know that most of the dealers around here use this method.
I think the kit costs around $70.

  Ron