Re: Bed Liners

From: Sperduto, Nick (SperdutoN@dnb.com)
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 09:43:00 EDT

I have a 98 Dak. I thought that Rhino was the best thing since sliced
bread. I got one and now I'm pretty pissed off and I hate it.
Here's how mine went. I'll start off by saying the bed is fine, but the
tail gate sucks.

I had it sprayed in under the rail on the bed and over the rail on the
gate. It cost me $408.
I put my ramp against the tailgate and loaded my dirtbike and where the
metal part of the ramp contacted the gate, it cut right thru the liner
and I could see my paint. About the size of a dime. Then I gut start
peeling the rhino back.
It also chipped of in about 7 sopts on the hump of the tailgate down
near the bottom.
I brought it back to the guy he looked at it and said "it looks like it
went on thin in those rounded areas, I'll do it over"

I get it done and when I pick it up, The new mask line is now directly
on top of the tailgate (the gate is a couple inces wide) and you can
only see half of a crooked mask line cause he layed the stuff on heavier
on the right because that's where the stuff peeled off.

after I get it back, 3 days later I load the bike into the truck in the
rain and the same exact thing happens and I look and the whole layer he
sprayed on is lifting and I could sit there and peel huge chunks of the
liner off.

So now I'm really pissed. I called Rhino and it took me 6 phone messages
with no calls back to finally get a human being on the line and
basically you have to go back to the same installer because they are
privatley owned.

He was a little mad cause I called rhino, but he reshot the whole
tailgate again. this time right over the bolts that I guess are for the
handle assembly inside.
he told me it the new layer chips off it's ok cause "rhino has trouble
sticking to another coat of Rhino" And maybe I should put some kind of
tailgate protector on so my ramp doesn't cut the liner. So to me there
goes the whole reason for the liner.
Anyway, some of the new layer is coming off but I really don't give a
shit anymore.
I do believe this is a problem with bad prep by my installer. I won't
ever buy one again. I'lll get a non slip drop in and take it out once a
year and clean it.
I'm going to discuss this with another Rhino dealer that will be at a
swap meet I'll be at.

If you decide to get one and it's over the rail, make sure the guy does
a very good job masking the truck, otherwise you'll have a shitty mask
line going down the side of your truck.

It's your decision.

Nick