setting record straight, was:Turbo T/A Kill...

From: O26ON4@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 18:43:02 EDT

<< Yeah,
 the Turbo T/A is faster than the IROC, but not by much. Nothing a few
 exhaust mods and a K&N can't stomp. My last roomate had a 305 IROC
 with a Cam, gutted cat, Flowmaster, AirFoil, and some minor
 headwork and he would eat a Turbo T/A for lunch...
 -mike d. >>
Mike,
My apologies to Jon Steiger for wasting bandwidth on a non-Dakota subject, but
being the original owner of a turbo T/A , I can't sit idly by without
responding to the above statement and setting the record straight. 20th
anniversary turbo T/A's would run lo 12 sec 1/4 mi times at around 110-112mph
with only a chip, slicks, test pipe and high octane fuel; to this day my 155K
mile TTA will run 12.70's on street tires, lo boost and timing chip, pump gas
and used plugs. Having owned several tuned port cars I know about their
potential performance with various mod's and the ONLY way your roommates' car
would outrun a TTA is with serious Nitrous. The above mentioned mods MAY get
the 305 c.i. IROC into the very hi 13's or lo 14's, why do you think I traded
in my 350 GTA for the TTA; because every aftermarket tuner told me it would
take a mega buck investment to transform the 350 TPI into a TTA eater (the
turbo engines were over 300 hp and 400 lb-ft torque from the factory), so I
opted for the TTA. This is the last time I'll comment about this issue, but
this is the REAL scoop about TTA performance.
Regards,
Steve Waller in Houston