Re: Dakota 2WD and Snow!!!

From: DkotaKid@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 23:59:54 EDT

In a message dated 8/31/98 2:29:13 PM Central Daylight Time,
tonyms@acadiacom.net writes:

> Yesterday it started raining and on my way to school there is this small
> tight circle the road makes and I gave it a little too much gas coming
> around and I felt the rear end loose traction. I have some brand new
> Firestones on it too but nothing big I just let off gas alittle and
> straightened out and away I went. I was wondering has anyone ever chirpped
> the tires when the auto shifts into 2nd. I did and it surprised the hell
> out of me.

Well, I guess I'll have to be the exception to the rule here, because I NEVER
had a bad weather problem with my 95 V8 Club Cab 5spd (bad combo for traction,
eh? NOT!), either with the Goodyears or with the Dunlops (the Hoosiers weren't
quite as "all-season" but not bad.) My favorite story was cruising from
Chicago to Flint, MI in January, with a big ugly snowstorm the whole way.
Honestly, even though I was scared sh*tless by the number of cars just
littering the ditches most of the way up I-94 AND I-69, Rubella practically
rode on rails the whole way there. I did get a real guilty pleasure on
counting how many "safe" FWD ricemobiles I saw stuck in the ditch, though. ;)
What's the secret? I don't know; just make sure your tires are in good shape,
and don't drive like a moron, I guess! And the 215's are skinny enough to cut
through the snow, with ~4200 lbs on top of 'em.

As far as intentional chirping goes, Rubella could bake the hell out of the
255's in first, get real squirrelly when I'd SLAM it into second, and still
get a healthy chirp in third, even with the Sure-Grip 3.55. Of course, that's
a 5 speed....

Andy