RE: Speedo recalibration

From: Mark Bate (mb@k6.net)
Date: Mon Aug 31 1998 - 01:10:34 EDT

In selecting replacement tires Web tire calculators get you in the =
ballpark. However for the best match you need to user the tire =
manufacturers stated "revolutions per mile"(rpm).

I have found that the same advertised size tire revolutions per mile can =
vary over ten percent depending on the manufacturer and tire design. =
On the Dunlop Web site
<http://www.dunloptire.com/>
various Dunlop Light Truck tires ratings follow:
215 75R15 list 774, 786, and 806 rpm's. (4%)
235 75R15 list 718, 741. 745, 753, 756, 773, and 804 rpm's. (11.9%)

This varies significantly from the data calculated at
<http://pw1.netcom.com/~sgalaba/tiresize.htm#ustires>
215 75R15 =3D 728 rpm's.
235 75R15 =3D 698 rpm's.
I am assuming that the calculator is using an "ideal" tire or uses a solid =
model that does not take into account the flexing of the tire contact =
patch.

I guess it boils down to doing your homework...

Craig Baltzer wrote:
>Sorry Mike, forgot to mention its a '97, 5.2l, 3.55, 5sp.
>
>There was some discussion before on this, but no one seemed to know if
>the DRB would acutely allow variable recalibration, or could just
>compensate for the 2 tire sizes available from the factory and the 3
>different rear-ends. Maybe its time to wander into the dealer and find
>their DRB expert...
>
>Craig

I hope this helps.

Mark Bate
KD6RMI@K6.net
+1.510.429-9100
Think different... Beware of geeks bearing gifts.
W 116.33 Euro/M 117.??