Re: Oil Filter Help

From: Merullo (Merullo@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 10:29:34 EDT

The factory-installed oil filter on my 1993 V-6 did not want to come off
either. I bent an (admittedly
cheap) oil filter wrench out of shape trying to get it off. In the end, I
ended up using an older
belt: slip it around the filter, approximate the length, fasten the buckle,
and start pulling carefully so
as not to break the belt.

The leather loop grips the filter much better than most filter wrenches.
The down side of this is
that the leather will stretch, and you cannot expect to be able to do this
with the same belt more
than a couple of times. On the other hand, you'll be able to control how
tightly you torque your filters from now on.