RE: Stuck in Sand

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 16:54:26 EDT

   I've done this very thing to get across snow and ice. You can go as low as
5psi but this is REALLY hard on sidewalls, so unless you have 6 ply or better
sidewalls I'd stay at the other suggested settings. At low pressures it's
very easy to "roll the bead" (ie: take the tire off the rim) so slow travel
and very slow corners are recommended.
   A nifty fix I saw done by the folks crossing the Antarctic (using 2 PSI in
their tires) when they rolled the tire bead off the rim was to carry a can of
benzene (cigarette lighter fluid) and spray it into the tire. Then toss a
match onto the rim. The quick burning gas would expand the tire back onto the
rim with a "pop" and you could add air into the tire and drive on it again.
Might not be a bad idea if you do alot of snow driving, to carry a can of the
stuff and a book of matches.
   This underinflation technique is great for getting out of snow/ice/sand.
Great thing to post up to the list...

Shaun H.
Tustin, CA