Re: Stronger rearend?

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 09:00:11 EDT

At 02:57 AM 9/3/98 -0400, you wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with putting a stronger rearend in
>a Dakota? Maybe a Ford 9", or... ? (I don't even know what's available)
>I'd really like to put the 1 piece driveshaft and the rearend from the
>club cab R/T in my Dak; I've got the feeling it'd fit, but I think the
>new style Dakota is wider than the older bodystyle (I've got a '96),
>so the wheels would probably stick out and look pretty dumb. Another
>issue is that I haven't found a price on either the driveshaft or the
>rearend for the R/T.
>
> I'm guessing changing to something like a Ford 9" or a Dana would
>require new axles, brakes, etc...?
>
> What kind of costs am I looking at for something like this?
>
>Thanks!
>
> -Jon-

What I found out was that the R/T rear is 2 inches wider. Only other
difference is it has a staggered shock setup. In Car and Driver, they
replaced the two-piece driveshaft with a one piece because the little
rubber boot was destroying itself. I'm guessing that it has a 8.25 rear.
That means that this 'shaft should fit. But I'm not saying it will, just a
guess. You could ask the dealer how much this piece cost. NO ONE will
make a one-piece shaft, and if they do, you won't get a warranty. I
looked forever for this. All the built up 2 piece jobs were in the $650
mark. The 'shaft from the dealer may be around $300-400.

On the Ford 9" and the Dana, those are going to be expensive to build
$1000+. You could take a 9.25 out of an 80's Ram, or something from the
70's, and have it shorted, get custom axles made, etc. This is expensive,
too. When mine died, I looked to see what was easiest, and cheapest, and
that just turned out to be buying a used one, which is going to be 475
probably.

One idea is to buy a used 8.25 and just having it sit around so you can
swap it in when yours grenades. Or you could buy one (or use yours) and
send it to someone to have it built up. Get some Moser axles ($300-400 or
so), a new Sure-Grip($200) (or whatever ya want), then have someone put it
together for you $150-200. YOu don't have to buy a new Sure-Grip, only if
it's worn out.

Here's what I say, go buy just the Moser axles and swap 'em in your truck,
and get the one-piece driveshaft(from Dodge, if it fits), too. That should
take care of any worries.

Brian