Re: Header install on 4x4

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 02:38:30 EDT

>On Tue, 1 Sep 1998 21:45:23 EDT Boog318@aol.com writes:
>>Duff
>>Put my JBA's on sunday. My 92 4x4 has that same dent in it. Dont
>>worry thats
>>factory. The best advice I can give you is find a mechanic with a
>>lift that
>>will help you out. That lift makes all the difference in the world!
>>I did
>>mine on the driveway, but I took it in to a friend because of a leak
>>in my
>>driverside down pipe flange. He took an impact gun to that thing and
>>had it
>>tightened up in seconds. Also, get some bolts (for the down pipes)
>>with full
>>threads. These JBA bolts didnt have enough thread to tighten down my
>>pipes
>>all the way.
>>Any difference? Less pedal and better milage!
>>Boog

    Here's another hint that might help... The nuts for the Y pipe that
came with the JBA headers are the type where it won't thread freely onto the
bolt; the top of the nut is a little smaller or something. Anyway, in order
to thread it all the way up, you have to put a wrench or something on the
bolt and use a ratchet or something to thread the nut up the bolt, which
is time consuming and can be difficult in the close confines of the engine
bay.
   What I did was to get some regular nuts at a hardware store (stainless)
and some stainless lock washers. That way, I could thread the nut all
the way up to the top and I only need the wrenches to actually tighten
it down.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.80@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |