Tire Sizes -Reply

From: Stephan Boianoff (sboianoff@mdc.com)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 08:13:00 EDT

Hey Robert, how come you're going with 15's instead of say 17's? One
thing you may want to consider (since you mentioned that you wanted
lower profile tires) is your speedometer reading. If you go lower profile
and keep the same rim diameter, it's going to be off. I know that you can
change a gear (in your tranny?) to correct for this, but by the time you
pay someone to do this, that $$$ could have paid for at least part of the
price difference between the 15's and 17's. Also, I don't think that it is
recommended to go wider than 255's on a 7" rim. It may even be
narrower than that, you'll have to check for the specific tires that you
want to use. I know that they don't recommend using a 275 on my
15X8's (although many people do it). Just for your info...I have the Tire
and Handling Package on my '98 (15X8 rims with 235/70/15's) and I plan
on going to 17X9 rims with 255/55/17's (the same setup that is on the
R/T's size-wise) if I ever lower mine. One final note, when you decide
on a tire size, make sure that they are available and affordable. Many of
the lower profile tires are only available in Ultra High Performance ratings
and are pretty costly. A great resource for this is www.tirerack.com.
Anyway, good luck. Keep us posted.

Steve

>>> Robert Trottmann <rotrottmann@davidson.edu> 09/02/98 09:35pm
For those of you with aftermarket rims, what size tires do you have?
I'm planning on getting 15X7, but I'm not sure what size tire I can
fit. I have 225/75/R15 and would like to end up with something wider
and shorter. a.k.a fat low profile.
Thanks much,
Robert