"New" bumper and other stuff

From: jsm@iglou.com
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 16:43:42 EDT

I too was one of those Dak owners afflicted with the dreaded paint
fall-off on the front bumper. Talked to the dealer and asked how much
extra would it cost to have it painted the same color as the truck
instead of black. Was told they don't paint them, just replace the
bumper. Since there was nothing else wrong with it I decided to go it on
my own. My mechanic put me in touch with a guy from a local repair shop.
He came over and took a look at the truck and said no problem. Last
=46riday he stopped by, took the bumper/valance off and took it home with
him. On Sunday he brought it back and put it on. He even cut out the
plugs for the fog lights. The paint match and quality looks perfect to
me. His charge, $100, which, I thought, seemed very reasonable. Now I
know where I'll go for the paint job if/when I decide on a rear roll
pan. After all he does have some paint left over. <g>

Other stuff......

I called DJM Suspension in regard to their 3/5 drop kit for the Dak.
After talking with them I knew that dropping the front 2" or 3" only
using springs was NOT the way to go. They said spindles was the way to
do it, but didn't know anyone that made them. Guess they haven't heard
about Western Chassis? When I do decide to go for the drop, actually
thinking of a 2/4, I will be in touch with Western, but am open to any
suggestions from anyone out there.

Since I was dumb enough not to listen to my mechanic I now have a
slightly used Gibson cat-back available. Has about 6,000 miles on it and
the tip is welded on. I also have the part of the pipe from the cat to
the muffler as I had a new piece put on when I put the stock system back
on. This will save time cutting the stock pipe. So if anyone with a V8
is interested contact me by private e-mail and maybe we can "make a
deal." Still not sure which muffler I'll go with for a replacement. Just
want one that can give my V6 a good sound, not a loud sound.

Steve
Lou-a-vul
jsm@iglou.com

97 Sport V6 CC Auto