Re: New Info: Ram-Air Hoods

From: Shaun.Hendricks@bergenbrunswig.com
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 20:08:33 EDT

   I *was* interested in this hood until I read this. There are some major
issues with this set up. Primary one being: wet weather. Rain/water coming
in the scoop and pouring through the filter and into the motor, not good. At
least with the box & open element design you just have to have drain holes in
the box. Water can't make the "turn" to get into an open element, if there's
no top and the air goes "straight down" into the TB... scary boys and girls:
very scary. Not only would water get in, but dirty water as it "cleans" the
oil/gauze filter as it passes through.
   If they make it so the filter attaches to the hood, it would be even worse
as you wouldn't want to run the motor with the hood up. "Oops I dropped it,
there went my #2 Phillips head screw into my <clunk><bang> #2 cylinder..." ^_^
   I certainly hope they think of these things and solutions to them before
"finalizing" their design.

Shaun
Tustin, CA