RE: 4X4 MPG

From: John Neff (jndneff@texas.net)
Date: Sat Sep 05 1998 - 09:32:13 EDT

> I'm just wondering what other V8 4x4's get, especially auto tranny. I
> still want to add the Jet Stage2 and put Redline in the front and rear
> diffs and see what difference that will make.

OK,
There will be a few more details of my New Mexico and Colorado trip a little
later, but this is one of the subjects I did want to comment on. In 14 days
I drove 3068 miles. My average mileage was 17.08mpg. My highest was going
from Albuquerque to Durango and that got me 19.25mpg going about 70. Don't
ask me how this happened, but you increase elevation so the average is
uphill. The worst I got was 16.15 and that was on a couple of different
stretches. Also keep in mind that there were several 10+ mile stretches
where the uphill grade was steep enough that I had to turn OD off until I
reached the top, which a couple of times was over 12,000 ft! I also had I
approximate about 1000lbs. of people and camping equipment in the truck. I
think the overall speed was about 60mph for the entire trip. What ever it
was the trip computer recorded something like 50+ hours in the truck. I also
ran regular unleaded the entire trip which in some locals was only 85
octane. I am used to 87 here in Austin. This is by far the best mileage I
have ever gotten. I also changed to Mobile 1 10W-30 about 200 miles before
the trip, and increased my tire pressure to 40lbs. The only mod to the truck
is my homebrew FIPK 2 that some have said was a waste, but I still argue
that it flows better and drives easier. BTW, I calculated my mileage based
on fillups and miles driven since the last fill up. The computer in the
overhead console reported only 15.7mpg for the entire trip. Big difference.
I will be addressing this with the dealer on my next trip in.
John
98 Dak CC 4X4, 5.2L, Auto, 3.92LSD, T&H Package (31"X10.5"X15"), Power
Everything, Nerf Bars, Billet Grill, Rhino Liner, SnugLid, homebrew FIPK 2,
DDBC