RE: Re: 275/60's up front??

From: Craig Baltzer (Craig.Baltzer@Anjura.COM)
Date: Sat Sep 05 1998 - 19:37:40 EDT

There is a page of "forumlas" somewhere on the web, but for tire
diameter, give this one a try

Where

        x/yRz

(as in 275/60R15) represents the tire size from the manufacturer, with x
being the tire size (in mm), y being the sidewall "percentage" height,
and z being the rim size (in inches)

        (x*(y/100))*2)/25.4+z

The 25.4 is the approx conversion for mm to inches. For the 275/60R15

        (275*0.60) * 2 = 330
        330/25.4 + 15 = 27.99

There is a more accurate way to do this (as I think was prev. mentioned)
which is "revolutions per mile". The tire manufacturers list this in
their book (the ones the tire places have), and its the most accurate
way to do it. Most manufacturers also list "diameter" as well in the
book...

Craig