Re: ATR Y pipe

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 06 1998 - 21:42:47 EDT

At 08:51 AM 9/6/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Jon,
>
>Did you receive your Y pipe yet ?
>
>I haven't gotten mine yet.

  Yep, I did. Sorry, I meant to let you know when I got it, but I
forgot. :-(

   It fit my '96 4x2 5 speed just fine. I've got the JBA headers and I
found I had to go and get bolts for the header flanges which were fully
threaded; the flanges on the ATR pipe must be closer to the headers than
the stock Y pipe. Not a problem though. The pipe doesn't hit the
transmission; its darn close; maybe a quarter inch of clearance (on the
bottom), but its in there pretty solid, so it doesn't move around.

   The one complaint I have with it is that its a little longer than I'd
like. The exit of the Y pipe is pretty close to a crossmember. I took
my cat and the stock pipe out to be replaced with 3" pipe, so I don't
know how the clearance is there as far as the stock cat pipe goes, but
I've got some 3" flexible stuff in there just temporary-like now, and I
had to hammer in a "crimp" to get it to clear the crossmember. I'm going
to have a pipe bent up when I get the chance, but I think it might be
nescessary to trim the ATR pipe back a little bit to give some more
breathing room. (The problem is that the pipe is pointing right at the
crossmember, and you have to have a pipe bend up and over it; being that
close, it'll have to be a tight radius bend.)

  I went to the track with the only changes being the ATR pipe and
no cat, and ran a 14.80, which corrected to standard as a 14.66. My
previous corrected to standard times were in the 14.8 and 14.9 range.
So, the addition of the ATR pipe and removing the cat gave me about 2-3
tenths, and 1-3 mph. Actually, there's more to be had since there's
that crimp in the flexible pipe and also I've got a pretty decent
restriction just before my Gibson muffler where I just stuck a 3" pipe
over the 2.5" -> 3" adapter rather than removing it. Once I get those
issues taken care of, I'll have a better picture of what the Y pipe
did for me. Unfortunately, it'll have to wait until after my rearend
gets put back together. :-P

  By the way, in case anyone is interested, here's a good example of
little things adding up... When I got to the track, I pulled right into
the staging lanes and ran a 15.28@91.8. I went to the pits and removed my
40-50lb toolbox, put on my power steering bypass belt, hooked up my ram
air, put the X-stream lid on my 14x3 K&N filter, unhooked the computer
to reset it, and then ran a 14.80@92.9. If it weren't for my rearend
buying the farm, my next pass probably would've been even quicker, since
the PCM tends to speed up the truck for the first few passes as it
"learns".

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.80@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |