My 88 is p---in' me off!!!!

From: Michael Z-Sykes (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Sun Sep 06 1998 - 21:42:26 EDT

Hey gangsta's
Check this out, to all who are curious =) My 88' makes more noise than
any truck I have ever heard. FIRST, I get valve noise. Not just any valve
noise, Loud valve noise, Embarassing valve noise. This is louder than my
exhaust! It's not a stuck valve, just noise. I can hear it with my windows
up at 70+MPH. What do you guys think would cuase exessive valve
noise? Should I ivest in getting my valve train rebuilt, or can it be a more
simple (and cheaper) fix. I thought about using a heavier motor oil, but I
figure 10W30 Havoline Synthetic is heavy enough. This is annoying!!! It
completely shoots down my "rumbling at the light intimidation factor" to
about 2 out of 10. Any sugg.'s? Another noise. I'm getting a rubbing
sound. It's comin' from either my Fan or belts. It's a steady fwa, fwa, fwa
that is louder than my exhaust and valve noise puit together. HEEEELPPP!!
I think I may just need new belts. How often should they be changed? I
had them done at 70k now I'm at 120k. Any sugg.'s? You guys rule!
thanks ya'll

-mike d.

88V6