Re: Beat by Chevy! Help!

From: Kabuki2@AOL.COM
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 00:56:40 EDT

<< Fact of the matter is that stock CAST pistons may work with nitrous or
 boost, but not long. >>

Depends on who's definition of 'long' we're using here. I've seen Vortech
charged cars with 50,000+ blown miles that still run strong today. I've also
witnessed a blown Ram that's been running for about a year now with boost
levels over 10psi with occasional detonation w/o even a head gasket failure
... I beleive maintenance is the key here more than anything.. but of course,
if someone's pumping up their stock engine beyond reasonable limits,
something's going to fail sooner or later.. just alittle quicker if one's not
changing their oil often.

(not to be an ass, but it's n2o, not no2 if we're talking about nitrous oxide)
<< NO2
introduces so much O2 into the mix that it is very easy to burn pistons
if you don't do it right. >>

That's why it's essential to make sure your fuel enrichment system is working
right. If it's a dry manifold kit, make sure to keep an eye on the fuel
pressure gauge at all times. If it's a wet kit, occasional checks to make sure
the fuel solenoid is functioning properly wouldn't hurt.. I also like the idea
of upgrading the fuel pump, even if the instructions say it isn't necessary.

ttyl
Patrick