Re: Going Racin' !!

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 07 1998 - 22:32:52 EDT

At 08:03 AM 9/7/98 +00-06, you wrote:
>> ANyway , this will be my first time at a track , so any advice would be
>> appreciated .
>>
>> For one , I heard that I should launch the R/T at about 122 RPMs and maybe
>> reduce the tire pressure to about 20-25 PSI , will this help ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> W . Jack Hilton III
>>
>> HEMI@charter.net
>
>Power Wagon magazine got a 14.70 with a R/T CC by removing the
>airbox, lowering the tail gate, and 18 psi in the rear tires.

   Yep, lowering the PSI somewhat will help, but it can also hurt.
Basically, you want the pressure where it will make the tread level
so that it doesn't "bulge" or "cup". You want a nice even contact
patch. A way to test this is to do a burnout on concrete and look
at the burnout patch. If its dark at the edges and light in the
middle, you have too little pressure in there, the tread is cupping.
If its dark in the middle and light on the edges, the tread is
bulging; too much pressure. It should be the same across the
mark.

  Note: the above applies to a radial tire; slicks work on a different
principle and have much lower pressures.

   My Firestone Firehawk SS-10s have a max PSI of 35; I usually run them
at about 33-34 or so. My best 60' time on those tires (2.115) was with
about 32psi. Last week, I lowered it down to about 28 and got a 2.15,
which is close, but 60' times don't go down automatically just from
taking some air out of the tires.

  So I guess the short answer is; yes, taking some air out of your tires
will probably help. Just be aware that it is possible to take too much
out.

                                               -Jon-

  | '96 Dodge Dakota v8 SLT CC (14.80@92.97), '96 Kolb FireFly 447 |