Scan Tool Buy

From: Mike Burgess (ax778@lafn.org)
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 02:08:35 EDT

A short while back, someone here mentioned they were buying a PC
based Scan/Reset tool that used a PC interface. I picked up the
ball and wrote to the Mfg. to see about a group rate, and got an
answer. But I'd sure like to hear from our list member who bought
the darn thing and find out if it works.
  Mike (Los Angeles)

>2) any chance of a discount for a group purchase of say, 25
>units?
25 units shipped to one address and payed on one invoice, would sell for
$200 ea.

Mike,
OBDTool will work on 96 and up Chrysler and foreign vehicles.

>1) will there be a version comeing out that will be able
> to re-program the settings in the controller ( for
>towing,
> raceing, fuel economy etc..)
OBDII does not define the Upload DownLoad functions. My first question
is
why do you want to change the Fuel/ignition maps? The sole purpose of
the
ECU to to measure the air flow thru the engine an inject the proper
amount
of fuel. The Max power, min pollution, and max mileage is the same air
fuel
ratio on a modern day vehicle. Even if you change the exhaust and
intake,
the ECU will see the changes in air flow and inject the proper amount of
fuel.

John Grable
CarComp Inc.
grable@smithville.net

My response:
> to re-program the settings in the controller ( for
>towing, raceing, fuel economy etc..)

I was hoping to play with the ing. timing, since on the Dodge Dakotas,
there is no Ping or Knock sensor. They crank in a fixed amt of timing
at the factory, and there it sets. Runs just great up hills, with a
load on
the engine, which means to me, that the timing is way retarded. I
would
dearly love to get better mileage out of the beast, since I drive
lightly loaded
most of the time, and feel that the spark could safely be advanced. I
understand
the fuel air mix is set and mostly controlled by the 'puter and the
Catalyst,
and getting it too rich will just heat the Cat converter, and the
computer will sense
the O2 sensors fore & aft of the converter, and cut back on fuel. ( I
think)
  However, if by advancing the timing, and using 89 octane vs factory
87,
I can get better mileage, I'd be ahead of the game.
  Just my opinion, and I'm sure my mileage will vary!
      Mike.
  PS, I'll see what the interest is on the Dakota mail list is for a
group purchase.
What states do you charge Tax in? that could be a deciding factor on
who
actually does the money business.