Re: RE: R/T Toe In and welcome

From: Gary Pinkley (gapinkley@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 22:41:56 EDT

If you do a lot of aggressive cornering, you may want to consider adding
some negative camber to the front suspension alignment.
My '97 came with Positive camber (i.e. the top of the tire is tilted outward
beyond the lower part). In cornering, a radial design tire will
pivot, shoving the outside corner inward and rotating the inside corner
upwards. This is the phonomenom may be causing the 'feathering'
of the tire that you are seeing. After 10K miles, my stock tires had to be
rotated since they were feathered so badly. On a street driven
vehicle, you should only add 0.25 - 0.5 degrees negative camber. Any more
will cause excessive wear on the inside. Excessive toe-in
can cause similar types of wear. Next time you get the alignment done, get
a printout of the specs. They will have both the factory specs
and what your vehicles results are. This may help when you go to diagnose
any future tire wear.

Gary Pinkley
97 Dak, 3.9, 5spd, monochrome flame red, 17x8, P255-50-17 BFG comp T/A ZR4,
lowered