Re: Almost a Ford Spank - Chevy too

From: Merullo (Merullo@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 16:46:06 EDT

Since it's acceptable to post brags like this, I have an analogous one:

First of all, I do not make a habit of racing, because, let's face it,
driving in and around Boston is
stressful and competitive enough, without actually racing. Not to mention
that most of the time I am driving the Dakota, which, being a stock truck,
handles very poorly relative to most any passenger car, and so racing is a
dangerous game indeed.

But, I am not a very forgiving, nice person either. One day, I was
approaching a light, beyond
which the 2-lane road constricts to 1 lane for about a 1/2 mile. A guy in a
white Chevy Z-71 (what does that mean anyway, if anything) pulls left onto
the road in front of me from a side street, and moves into the left lane,
poised to get in front of me. The light turns red, and the Chubby driver
is revving his engine loudly, inching forward and generally behaving in an
irritating manner, considering that he was apparently intending to cut me
off in the intersection.

But of course, it didnt turn out that way. My forearm ached all day
thereafter from the intensity of my grip on the shifter, as I wound out my
poor little AX-15 transmission to launch ahead of, and stay just a half a
truck-length in front of, that belligerent Chevy. It was an extremely short
race, from one end of a run-of-the-mill intersection to a point a few yards
beyond the other end, but it seemed to last forever seen from the
perspective of my Dakota's confined standard cab. I doubt that my top speed
managed to exceed 40, but I was just shifting into 3rd at that point. I
just barely pulled it off, but pull it off I did. Right of way and reason
triumphed (sort of).

The specifications of the Z-71 killer:

1993 Dakota Sport
3.9l Magnum, 5 speed 4x4
standard cab & bed
modifications: painted exhaust manifolds and differential; aftermarket
seat cover; aftermarket mud flaps and rubber mat in bed
Approximate mileage at time of kill: 80,000
Current approximate mileage: 89,000