RE: DML Digest V3 #1260

From: Wisotzkey, Rich (Rich.Wisotzkey@GSC.GTE.Com)
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 12:34:42 EDT

Reply to transmission trouble.
     Thanks to everyone for the quick response. I hope this goes where its
supposed to. I'm a two day old subscriber, and have never used a site like
this before. OK, here are the details of my tranny's past. Again, this is
a '96 318 engine and a 3.55 sure-grip rear.

Original Tranny: (replaced at 26K mi.)
1st- Initial noise sounded like lask in the driveshaft.
2nd- Gears started a suttle whining.
     (2nd, 3rd, & 5th if I remember correctly.)
3rd- Strong resistance when accelerating and trying to
     hold speed on the highway. It felt like there was a
     constant 40-50mph headwind.
4th- Sitting still with the clutch disengaged; all was quiet.
     With clutch engaged (in neutral); sounded like the bearings
     were ready to fall out.

     At this point, the whining noise became very loud (in all but 4th
gear), and I took it to the dealer. Serv. mgr. told me the technician did
not like the way it looked; replaced nothing and ordered a new replacement.
I ask about fluid level and specific wear. I was told the level was normal,
but everything showed abnormal wear. I did not get to speak to the tech
myself, so I never found out the exact details on what he saw, or prompted
the replacement.

Replacement Tranny: (now has 11K mi.)
     Initially, all was fine. I now have symptoms #1, #2, and #4 again as
stated above. I'm now waiting for the resistance and loud whining to start
with this one as well.

     I don't think its an alignment problem with the engine since I've not
had to replace any seals (at least not yet). The driveshaft was also
replaced just prior to the tranny replacement. The clutch is fine. There
are no other symptoms or sounds; no grinding or crunching. I think that
covers everything. Any questions you have, I will try to answer.

     It's funny, I noticed you mentioned having the 3.21 rear. This is what
I originally wanted, but it was not an option in '96 with the V8. It was
only available on the V6.

Eagerly awaiting your responses,
Rich W.