RE: Info on the '94 Dakota

From: STRICKLAND, Tate (tstricklan@shl.com)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 14:39:06 EDT

I don't have a 94, so I'm no expert, but do a query in the archives on
"leak". Quite a bit of info there, I think. If it's leaking near the
filter, it's either the filter or the pan gasket - that's the only
place it could be coming from. I have heard of leaks springing up on
"well broken in" motors when there was a drastic change in oil used.
 My girlfriends dad (very well equipped shop and mechanically
inclined) swears that he developed leaks in an old ford after
switching to Mobil 1 from dino oil. Don't know if you switched, but
there's the info.

Don't know about the knock, but I have never heard of any bearing
issues with these motors.

Good luck!

Tate

1. The carpet was extreemly wet. I removed it and dried it out. The
floor is in excellent shape and no sign of rust or missing floor
plugs. Using the garden hose for water tests I came to discover the
the fire wall leaks around the rubber gromets and foam around the
heater core. I've siliconed and sprayed these with undercoating to
seal them. Is this normal for the Dakota or is there some defect or
other spot that I may look. A buddy had wet carpets in his '87 but
figured it was from the snow over the winter.

2. There is an oil leak near the oil filter. The filter is tight as
well as the base pan bolts. I've lost about half a section in the
safe zone on the dip stick. Is there any history of this problem that
you know of? (I will be doing regular oil changes every 5,000km as I
believe this is the life of the engine)

3. I'm getting a knock under the hood. I'm sure it is not the valves
as it sounds nearer to the belt pullies. Is their a reputation of
losing any bearings in this area. There is also a knock in the front
suspension I'm hoping it is only a sway bar link bolt.

Is rust a problem as she is not under coated or rust checked yet and
very little rust has started to develope.

Those who know the previous owner and who have had Dodge Trucks say
that I have an excellent truck.

Since you all have had experiences with the Dakota. I was wondering
have you experienced any of these problems, know of any solutions, or
future problems that may arise that I can prevent I would greatly
appreciate the info.

Thanks;
khorwood@mailexcite.com
St. John's, Nf.