Info on the '94 Dakota

From: keith wilson horwood (khorwood@mailexcite.com)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 12:06:00 EDT

--

--------- Forwarded Message ---------

I was just cruising through the web looking for some info on the Dodge Dakota and found a lot of Dakota enthusiasts.

I just recently purchased a '94 Dakota Sport ext. cab. She is a V6 with 68,000km. This is my first Dodge and first truck other than a '85 Samurai. The truck was purchased by my girlfriend while I was away, therefore I wasn't able to look the vehicle over before the actual purchase. The previous owner was an older man who did not abuse the rig, so she is in pretty good shape. The reason that I am looking for some dirt on this model has to do with Dodges (car/van) transmission reputation.

Since I picked her up less than a month ago I've put a little over 1,500km on her and have noticed a few things that are not helping my confidence in her. Some of the things include:

1. The carpet was extreemly wet. I removed it and dried it out. The floor is in excellent shape and no sign of rust or missing floor plugs. Using the garden hose for water tests I came to discover the the fire wall leaks around the rubber gromets and foam around the heater core. I've siliconed and sprayed these with undercoating to seal them. Is this normal for the Dakota or is there some defect or other spot that I may look. A buddy had wet carpets in his '87 but figured it was from the snow over the winter. 2. There is an oil leak near the oil filter. The filter is tight as well as the base pan bolts. I've lost about half a section in the safe zone on the dip stick. Is there any history of this problem that you know of? (I will be doing regular oil changes every 5,000km as I believe this is the life of the engine)

3. I'm getting a knock under the hood. I'm sure it is not the valves as it sounds nearer to the belt pullies. Is their a reputation of losing any bearings in this area. There is also a knock in the front suspension I'm hoping it is only a sway bar link bolt.

Is rust a problem as she is not under coated or rust checked yet and very little rust has started to develope.

Those who know the previous owner and who have had Dodge Trucks say that I have an excellent truck.

Since you all have had experiences with the Dakota. I was wondering have you experienced any of these problems, know of any solutions, or future problems that may arise that I can prevent I would greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks; khorwood@mailexcite.com St. John's, Nf.

Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere! http://www.mailexcite.com

--------- End Forwarded Message ---------

Free web-based email, Forever, From anywhere! http://www.mailexcite.com