RE: Cd changer

From: Chris Hindy (chindy@home.com)
Date: Thu Sep 10 1998 - 23:12:50 EDT

>Hi,
> Did anybody buy a 6 cd changer on a CC with bucket seats? If so,
>where did you mount the cd changer?? I have the RBN radio with cd
>controls.
>
>Martin Tolentino
>99 Dak R/T cc

I had a similar dilema when I picked up my 98 Sport CC.

I didn't take the Chrysler one because I had a Sony 6-pack that I planned
to transfer from my Stratus. I started off by asking around at my dealer
to see if anyone (sales guys, mechanics, anyone at all) knew where the CC
unit was mounted. No one knew. I asked around at a few other dealers and
no one knew there, either. Seems no one working for a dealer in the
eastern half of Toronto had ever seen a Dak with a CD changer.

I decided to go it alone. I built up a little L-shaped 'shelf' out of 1/2"
plywood which I covered with a bit of matching grey carpet (I have a friend
that works on the line at Lear in Ingersoll, and he got me a few scraps of
CC-spec grey carpet). I built the shelf to conform to the outline of the
cup holder space in the rear seat behind the drivers seat so it looks like
it belongs there. Even took the time to round over the edge and do a nice
job of finishing it.

The shelf got stuck down to the cup holders using mirror-weight two sided
foam tape. It gives a nice firm hold without screws or messy hot glue.
The changer then got mounted on the upright part of the 'L' which gives it
a nice firm base.

Control, power and audio cables then ran behind the drivers' side fascia,
under the drivers side door kick, up behind the bit of fascia near the
parking brake cable and out under the factorr wire harness. My only
remaining trouble was where to mount the RF unit (I didn't buy the
controller built in to the head.) I solved this by hanging the unit with
zip ties directly underneath the steering shaft, leaving a couple of inches
for clearance.

All in all it took about 3 hours to do everything from start to finish.
Hope this helps a bit.

cheers
-ch