Re: RE: re:JBA and the burning rubber smell

From: Bobby Nicks (bwnicks@ibm.net)
Date: Sat Sep 12 1998 - 15:04:15 EDT

STRICKLAND, Tate wrote:

> Sorry to be coming back with a "I can't believe you can't smoke the
> tires..." type of reply, but can you really tell no difference in
> performance? Other people have made similar posts about no
> performance increase, so I don't doubt your opinion at all.
>
> May I ask - do you often go to WOT when driving your truck? Driving
> habits in general? The magazine article that another member refered
> to (Mopar Action, I think) was talking about good hp and torque gains
> from these headers.
>
> The performance gains from the MP headers and Y-pipe were quite
> noticeable - maybe with a Y-pipe, your gains would be more noticeable
> too - who knows.
>
> Tate

That's right, no performance increase that I can detect. As to my
driving habits, well my kids say that I drive like a mad man. I have
been drag racing since 1962. In fact I just got back from the strip.
Didn't run the Dakota but the race car.

To be honest, once I saw these headers I didn't expect any increase in
performance. If you remember I offered to sell them when I first
received them. The mopar headers I would expect an increase in
performance but not the JBAs. After 30+ years of drag racing my seat of
pants dyno isn't that bad. I have made fairly minor changes and
detected about the same level of increase that the ET clocks did.

They do let the chambers run a little cooler, my pinging had gone away
since putting them on.

Now the 2 and 1/8" Hookers that are the Camaro, well that's another
story.

Bob Nicks
95 Dakota V8 CC
96 Impala SS